Programs & Services
- Medicare Enrollment Periods
- Medicare Counseling Appointments
- Medicare Savings Program
- Extra Help for Part D
- Medi-Cal Facts for Seniors
- Frequently Asked Questions
Community Resource Specialists are available between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. M-F at (408) 350-3200, option 1.
Extra Help for Part D
What are the “Extra Help” Programs?
Extra Help (Low Income Subsidy) is a program that can help lower your costs for Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage. HICAP can help you apply: HICAP counseling appointments.
You can also apply directly through Social Security: www.ssa.gov/medicare/prescriptionhelp
Depending on the level of Extra Help that you’re eligible for you’ll receive the following benefits:
- $0 or reduced premium on your prescription drug plan
- $0-$99 deductible on your drug plan
- No coverage gap
- Low co-payments or reduced (15%) coinsurance on your medications
- Can change Part D plan or Medicare Advantage plan quarterly
If you first qualify for Extra Help in July or after, it will be good for the rest of that year as well as the following year.
This project was supported by the Administration for Community Living (ACL), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as part of a financial assistance award totaling $97,279 with 100 percent funding by ACL/HHS. The contents are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the official views of, nor an endorsement, by ACL/HHS, or the U.S. Government.